Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Bonjour

Bonjour tout le monde (hello everyone)! I'm Sydney and I live in Dallas, Texas. I am 15 years-old and a Sophomore in high school. I have been accepted to study abroad next school year (2012- 2013) with AFS Intercultural Programs. First I will tell you a little bit about myself. I am a part of my school's debate team, french club, cross country team, a member of student council, and a student ambassador. The reason I want to study abroad is to get to know a new culture, so I can be less ignorant about, and have a better understanding of the world around me. When I first started taking French in high school I didn't think I would like it very much, but soon discovered my love for the language and culture. I love to travel and have always been interested in other parts of the world. I cannot wait to spend a year learning about a new culture and language. By participating in this program I will challenge myself by going outside of my comfort zone. I also hope to learn about myself, and become a more independent, and mature person. 

Now you are probably wondering, what exactly is AFS? AFS is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to create a more just and peaceful world by providing international and intercultural learning experiences through a global volunteer partnership. They have been exchanging students throughout the world for over sixty years and are one of the most reputable exchange programs. I will live with host family, whom I have never met, attend a French high school, and could be placed anywhere in France, from a small village to a big city.

I am so happy to be afforded this amazing opportunity to go to school in a new country and become fluent in another language while learning about french customs. Everyone who I have talked to that is currently on or has been on exchange says that it is the best decision they have ever made. Studying abroad will be a fantastic experience, and is a rare opportunity.

Unfortunately, I am not one of the 1% of Americans who can just pull thirteen thousand dollars out of my parents' savings account without making a major dent. I have many plans for raising my tuition and I need to raise as much as possible. I plan on getting a job this summer, but that will not make nearly enough to cover my tuition, so I need your help! I know that times are tough, but if you would like to help make dream come true please click on the ChipIn button on the right side of my blog to make a secure, non tax deductible donation that goes straight to AFS and into my tuition fund. Any amount you are able to give is greatly appreciated. No amount is too small or too large. Every little bit adds up and brings me one step closer to my goal.

In addition to my tuition, I also must come up with the money to buy a ticket to my departure city, New York, so if you have a lot of airline miles it would be great if you would consider donating my plane ticket. If you are interested you can email me at sydneyfirsching@yahoo.com.

Thank you so much for reading my blog and please keep reading as my journey continues. I will try to post at least once a month from now until my exchange is over. Thanks again and feel free to send this blog to anyone you think may be interested in reading or helping sponsor my AFS adventure!

À bientôt

1 comment:

  1. We are so proud of you Sydney. We encourage you to explore the world, starting with France. We are pledging $1500 to help you on your way.

    ReplyDelete