Another thing I have recently come to realize is how difficult this experience has truly been. You don't realize how hard it is until it has already happened. It was pretty easy for me if you compare my experience to some other people's (I was really lucky with my host family and to be in a town with so many other exchange students), but living in a country and not speaking the language is extremely challenging at times.
But all in all, this is an experience that I wouldn't change. I have not thought once this year "I want to go home". It's sad that only have four months left but there are a lot of amazing things I can still do! So I'm staying positive and taking full advantage of each day I have left.
Here are a few pictures of what I have been up to in the past month.
This photo has a pretty interesting story actually. So in Châtellerault there are these giant chimneys and there is a platform and stairs where you can go up to the top. Unfortunately it's blocked off but one day after school Constant, Kristine, and I were hanging out in town and were kind of bored so we decided to sneak up. I wish we could have stayed for longer! It was really amazing up there.
Saying goodbye to the semester kids :'(
Pictures from a weekend in Poitiers:
Pili, Jakob, and me
All of the year and first semester kids
Pili, Jakob, and Elizabete
The day it snowed in Châtellerault!
My cat Samba (don't be deceived by the cuteness of this photo. he is actually evil.)
Two of my best friends, Jakob and Maynard (new Australian who's here for the semester)
Pili, Olof, and Shao Linn
Stormie and Kristine
Karolina and Clara
During the February vacation my host parents and I went to Norway. We visited Oslo, Lillehammer, and Tromso. It was amazing and so beautiful! We went dog sledding, saw the north lights, tried cross country skiing, and even ate reindeer (weird). Here are some photos I took:
My wonderful host parents!
Olympic park in Lillehammer
The opera in Oslo.
Well that about wraps it up. Things couldn't be going better! The weather has finally been getting nicer here, after four months of rain and cold. It crazy how the sun can change everything. When it's sunny and warm I am significantly happier. I can even walk to school now, which is a great way to start the day.
I must say, the second half of exchange is definitely better than the first; you have friends, you get invited to do more things, you discover all of the cool things about where you are, you can travel, and you can actually speak and communicate. I'm so happy that I still have four months left of the best half.









I'm so happy you are having such a great time, Syd! I knew you'd do great over there. We are still working on convincing Grace to do it in a few years...
ReplyDeleteHey Sydney! This is really random because I don't know you AT ALL.. But I was wondering if there is anyway I could get in contact with you because I am trying to learn French and talking to someone who is fluent could really help me out! My name is caraline and I would really appreciate it! Thank you :)
ReplyDelete